If your kitchen faucet is leaked, you need to repair it as soon as possible.
There are various types of kitchen faucets available but if you have a single-handle faucet with a disc cartridge then you can easily fix your leaky faucet by following the steps of the article on how to fix a leaky kitchen faucet single handle.
Usually, a disc faucet mixes both hot and cold water inside a mixing chamber. The chamber is known as a pressure balance cartridge.
The two ceramic discs at the bottom of the chamber control the temperature and raise or lower the volume.
5 Easy Steps To Know How To Fix A Leaky Kitchen Faucet Single Handle
So if your faucet gets a leak in that position then it will not be able to control the temperature. Therefore, we are here For to let you know how to fix a leaky kitchen faucet single handle.
Let’s learn the process step by step!
Turn Off Water Supply Line At Sink
- To fix a leaky single-handle kitchen faucet, the first thing you need to do is turn off the water supply line. Turn off both hot and cold water supply lines running to the faucet
- The line is usually found directly under the sink
- Turn the handle of the shutoff valve clockwise to tighten and turn it off
- If the valve has a lever handle, you need to turn perpendicular to the water line to shut it off
- If you do not have local shut off valves, then you will have to turn off the line from the main water supply line
- Once the supply line is off, open the faucet and letting the water drain out
Removing Handle Lever
- Generally, the handle of the faucet attached discreetly to the faucet cartridge and connected with a plastic cover plate. If it does not have a plastic cap, then an Allen-head set screw on the side, front, or rear of the handle will attach the handle.
- To remove the handle, use a Phillips head screwdriver or an Allen wrench. Remove the fastening screw using the screwdriver
Removing Ceramic Disc Cartridge
- After removing the handle the disc cartridge is exposed
- To hold the disc cartridge in place it has screws. If you have this style of disc cartridge, remove them from the disc cartridge
- Once the screws are removed or if it does not consist any screws, lift the cartridge out of the faucet body
- Use pliers if the cartridge is stuck a bit and gently grab it with the groove joint points and pull it out
- Now you have the cartridge removed, check the cartridge for damage. If you see it is damaged already, you need to replace it with another one
Cleaning The Materials Of The Faucet
- Once you remove the cartridge, you will see the rubber seals. Gently remove the rubber seals using a screwdriver. You need to be careful so that the seals do not get damage
- Now you have to clean the seal seats in the bottom of the cartridge body. Use a soft nylon brush, for instance, an old toothbrush to clean the seal’s seats
- If the rubber seals are damaged or you cannot clean them, then you have to replace the rubber seals with the new ones.
- To purchase the perfect size rubber seals, take the cartridge with you to the hardware store
- If you find the leak from the spout body neck, remove the O-ring from the faucet body neck
Reassembling Disc Cartridge And Faucet
- Now it is time to reassemble the cartridge
- Replace the cleaned or new rubber seals in the right place
- Place the disc cartridge into the faucet body
- If you used any decorative cover place, replace it into your faucet
- Replace the handle of the faucet and tighten the attaching body
Restoring Water Supply
- Restore the water supply to the faucet
- After restoring it, check for leaks
- Set the faucet carefully
- Turn on the water supply line to check if the setting is perfect or not. If there is no leak or no problem is found then the fixing is completed perfectly
- The 12 Best Kitchen Faucets Review (Updated List) 2021
- The 8 Best Sink Drain Strainer For Kitchen In 2021
- The 8 Best Sink Protector Review For 2021 (Updated)
- The 10 Best Undermount Bathroom Sinks For 2021
- The 10 Best Double Bowl Kitchen Sinks
- How To Plumb A 3 Compartment Sink | 6 Easy Steps
- How To Resurface A Bathroom Sink With Epoxy Resin | 12 Easy Steps
- How To Clean Black Sludge In Sink Drain (3 Methods)
Follow all the steps one by one to fix your leaky kitchen faucet. If you are able to follow the steps from how to fix a leaky kitchen faucet single handle, then you could fix your kitchen faucet by yourself. You do not need anyone’s help to replace your kitchen faucet.